Friday 7 October 2011

And so life goes on

Thursday 22nd September 2011
It has been a bit of a whirlwind since my last post.  On Saturday we went to Gori for a big boy and girl outing all on our own.  But no, we were given a lift there.  It’s not that I am ungrateful, but for a 51 year old woman, accompanied by her 48 year old husband, I miss the independence of jumping into the car and going off to do stuff and mooch around the shops.  I was trying to find a post-office so that I could weigh and send 2 letters to England.  (To two mates who have become grannies this month) but it was IMPOSSIBLE.  In the end I gave them to Beso’s sister who was flying back to France that night so that she could post them from there for me.  It was just simpler that way.  I know you may find this hard to believe but I do not have an address. Mail is not delivered to the village.  The people in the village have no need for post or letters allegedly.  I have not been able to fathom out what they do yet.  Watch this space. I can get things sent to the post office which is in Gori, a half hour drive away, but no-one knows how to do this.  Alternatively, Beso’s sister suggested that I get Maia’s mum’s address in Tblisi and then ask people to send it to her and she will bring it over.  In Tbilisi they have addresses and mail deliveries but on the downside it is a 2 hour drive away and so it is a bit on the inconvenient side for Maia’s mum.  

We had a nice time in Gori.  We met up with 3 blokes from our group and ate food and drank beer. 
Then we climbed up to the top of the fortress and then back down again. Me and Martin had a wander around the market and purchased some coat-hangers.  We had only 2 each and they were straining under the weight of all our clothes so we bought some more.  We were thrilled.  Plus a little bin for our room, nail varnish, deodorant and some tea bags.  I don’t go shopping, as there are no shops near us and I don’t need to.  (What’s that got to do with it?)  So it was nice to wander around spending crazily.  (I also bought some felt tips in case I can make some resources) We managed to find a marshutka to Kareli and arrived at the stop on the outskirts of town on the main road without event.  We were about to ring Beso to come find us when a man said “Kvemo Khvedureti?”, which after a few tries we worked out we were going to the same place.  We jumped in a cab and ended up outside our door and the guy refused to accept any money from us.  How nice.

Sunday I received an email about an American Exchange program open to students in years 9, 10 and 11 which enabled winners to live with a family in America and go to school for one year.  I am very excited about this of course for my students but the problem is that the first round of testing in Gori is to be held on Wednesday, in 3 days time and this leaves very little time to prepare them.  On Monday I spoke to the school director and the English teachers and we ask the year 11s if they want to try for a place.  Eight said yes and on Tuesday I put them through their paces all day.  Grammar and more grammar and a bit of comprehension thrown in; plus some listening tasks. I had worked late into the night to prepare online tests with games to break the day up and Martin researched and found me loads of resources.  I had arranged to use the computer room all day and had set up Hotmail accounts and sent documents to them so that they could link to sites with games (well Martin did!)  But unfortunately, there was no internet that day, and so I printed off a little, taught on the blackboard the rest and used my laptop for breaks where they did the tests.  It was a great day, the kids worked really hard, didn’t complain, and were really excited about it all.

The next day we all went to Gori  school number 3 in a mini-bus that won the prize for the most cracked windscreen that was still in one piece.  I was like a mother hen, ushering my chicks into the testing rooms and waiting anxiously to see how they got on.
 
After everyone had finished we went to a restaurant for kingalle, Khachapuri and beer.  Everyone was in high spirits and we had a good time. 

The results were published on the internet that evening.  Overall there were 400 candidates and the number that got through to round two was 148.  One of my students made it through!  She screamed down the phone at me when I told her.

The school was thrilled for her success as this was a real feather in their cap for the school.  They were particularly happy that Kareli, who had entered 14 students did not have anyone go through.  Rivalry is alive and kicking in Kvemo Khvedureti!.  Everyone congratulated her and me and there was a real buzz.   I worked with her all day again trying my best to prepare her for 4 hours of testing tomorrow.  Let’s hope and pray she makes it through.  We will find out in one month whether or not she has got through.

No comments:

Post a Comment